The dumbbell side lateral raise is a good, but not very functional exercise. It’s good to isolate specific areas of your shoulder. But, as you know, I generally prefer functional exercises over not.
It’s easy and effective at targeting one of the specific shoulder muscles.
Body Parts Used
Main focus is on the deltoid (shoulder) muscles. The image shows palms down. This way targets the middle deltoids. Turning thumbs up changes the emphasis to the front delts. If you turn the thumbs down and bend over at about a 45 degree angle at your torso, you will target the rear delts as you raise them. This is an awkward movement, but works.
[hmtad name=”In Content” align=”left”]
- Stand with knees slightly bent for cushion of the spine.
- Hold dumbbells down at your sides with palms facing you. Your elbows should be locked at a slightly bent position.
- inhale as you raise the weights up toward shoulder height.
- Inhale as you return to the starting position.
- Discontinue if there is any discomfort in your shoulder joint.
Note: One exercise alone is not sufficient for any goal. All exercises should be part of a comprehensive exercise program. Also, see my list of exercises for more.
This page will be a list of exercise programs and links to reviews for each. If you have one that you’d like to add to the list, leave a comment below. See the 5 Best Exercise programs here.
Power 90 In-Home Boot Camp
Les Mills Pump
This is a growing list of exercise routines. If you’re looking for something that’s not here, leave me a comment below and I’ll put one together for you.
[wp_cpl_sc cat_id=397 list_num=500 css_theme=4 sticky_post=”79″ is_thumb=”true” read_more=”read more” show_comments=”false” show_date=”false” show_author=”false” sort_using=4]
What is CrossFit?Crossfit is a daily workout that can be done at home or at any of thousands of CrossFit gyms around the US. The workouts or WOD’s (Workout of the Day) are posted online and all CrossFit centers do the same workout that particular day.
Who’s it For?
CrossFit is about as tough as it gets! This program is for the exerciser who wants to treat fitness as a sport. I wouldn’t even consider it unless you are already fit, strong, and functionally sound (no joint problems, etc.)[hmtad name=”In Content” align=”left”]
Benefits of CrossFit
This is an amazing concept! I have been around the fitness and sports training industry for over 35 years and I have never seen anything like this. Here’s what I like about it:
- Everyone doing the same workout: One daily workout designed by true, fitness gurus. That’s just so different and cool.
- Functional exercises: They use only exercises that are designed to use the whole body and work the way your body was designed.
- Motivation: Leaders and peers to help you get through the workouts.
- Balanced fitness: Most activities for exercise focus on one of a few aspect of fitness (strength, cardio, flexibility, balance, etc.). CrossFit juggles them all into the workouts as they have different exercises each day.
- Fitness levels: I would have to guess that participating in crossFit would help you achieve unparalleled levels of fitness. At the very least, among the highest levels.
To learn more, visit their website at CrossFit.com.
In their own words, Les Mills PUMP is a fat burning, muscle building, resistance training program. They also claim to be the fastest way to achieve these goals. Their secret is with their patented “Rep Effect”. The Rep Effect is achieved by burning more calories through high repetition, high intensity muscle training. Continue reading